Evaluating Community Development and Measuring Change
What will this course cover?
• The significance of evaluation to community development, and community
development to evaluation
• How do we measure what we do?
• Different types of data – and data protection
• How can we collect data and measure it?
• Developing a logic model or theory of change for your work
What tools and knowledge will participants take away?
• A practical understanding of the different kinds of data and evaluation tools
that they can use and appropriate measures and indicators
• To understand a logic model or theory of change, and how to apply this to
your work to focus on outcomes and explore measures and indicators
• A better understanding of what funders are looking for and investors need to
What are the intended learning outcomes?
• Explain the principles of evaluation and its relationship to community
• Consider different approaches to evaluation
• Use a number of participative techniques in the evaluation process;
• Explain the importance of measuring quality and how this can be done;
Who is this course for?
To give people who work with community groups, projects or programmes, a clear
understanding of community based evaluation and to equip those people with the
practical tools they will need to strategically plan and evaluate their own work or that
If participants apply what they have learnt on this course they will be able to think
about the design of evaluation and measuring change processes for their
organisation or project. It will support evaluation being embedded at planning,
implementation and review stages to support a culture of learning and building on
£200 (+VAT) for voluntary and community groups
£250 (+VAT) for statutory or private sector